The BCHL’s 2016 semiannual governors meeting was held last week in Richmond, B.C. and resulted in several rules and governance changes for the league moving forward.
A pair of changes take effect immediately:
- — Any play resulting in contact with a goaltender may be submitted to the BCHL office for video review. Injury is not required for a review to be requested.
- — With respect to tie-breaker criteria in the standings, the following tie-breaker has been added as the third way to determine the top team: “Team having the most WINS IN GAMES AGAINST EACH OTHER”.
The following changes will take effect starting in the 2016-17 season:
- — There will be no automatic penalty shot awarded for a penalty in 3-on-3 double overtime. Instead, if a team is penalized in double overtime, a 4-on-3 power play will result. If a team is penalized at any point in overtime such that a two-man advantage is called for, a 5-on-3 power play will result. Play will revert to 4-on-4, or 3-on-3, at the first stoppage after the power play ends.
- — Goaltenders will be required to change ends prior to the start of the first overtime and will remain at that end for the second overtime.
- — Teams will not be permitted to start main training camp prior to August 22, 2016. There will be no team activities of any kind permitted on August 20 or 21, 2016.
- — The start date for the coming season will be Friday, September 9, 2016. The season end date will be Sunday, February 26, 2017. Round 1 of the playoffs will start on Friday, March 3, 2017.
- — The fifth Bauer BCHL Showcase will be held September 22 to 25, 2016 at Prospera Centre in Chilliwack.